In Argentina, the flavour of grilled beef is brought to life by chimichurri, a fresh combination of green herbs and spices. Mark McEwan pairs Alberta beef with a tangy chimichurri marinade, grilled peppers and herb mayo – served portably in pitas. High in protein, low in fat and sugar – this a healthy meal for meat-lovers. Allow 4 hours to marinate steaks before grilling.
4 X 4 oz. (113 g) sirloin steaks
4 whole-wheat pitas
2 cups (500 mL) arugula
(Yields approximately 2 cups; refrigerate half for another use.)
- ¾ bunch flat-leaf parsley – stemmed and picked over
- ½ bunch cilantro, washed and roots trimmed off
- 8 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp. (60 mL) minced green onion
- 4 tbsp. (60mL) white vinegar
- 6 tbsp. (75 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) chili flakes
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125mL) light or vegan mayo
- 4 tbsp. (60mL) chopped fresh herbs (such as dill, parsley, chives or basil)
- ¼ tsp. (1.25 mL) black pepper
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 yellow or orange pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small-to-medium sweet onion
- 1 tbsp. (15mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp. (15mL) balsamic vinegar
- Transfer all chimichurri ingredients except olive oil into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Slowly add oil while pulsing. Do not over-process, as the texture should be a little coarse.
- Marinate steaks in 1 cup (250 mL) chimichurri for approximately 4 hours in the fridge. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Combine mayo ingredients and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate.
- Cut peppers and onion into large strips and toss with oil and vinegar. Grill or roast until tender (approximately 8 minutes at 400°F/204°C ). Peppers should still have a little snap when finished, not be mushy. Set aside and keep warm.
- Grill steaks on seasoned grill until desired doneness. 130 to 140°F (54 to 60°C) degrees is ideal. Let rest under foil for 7 minutes. Slice into thin strips and combine with warm pepper mix.
- Spread 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of the herb mayo inside each pita.
- Evenly stuff each of the 4 pitas with steak strips and pepper mix, followed by baby arugula and serve.
Nutrition per serving (1 stuffed pita):
Saturated fat 4g
Watch the video: